Monday 9 September 2013

Cochlear Implant...

People, who have seen my statuses or read my latest posts, will know I have a new digital hearing aid and love listening to music! Music is my world!

Because I now have a hearing aid, I have to go to the hospital now and then for fine tuning and checks on my hearing aid. Boring really, but essential!

At one of my appointments, Cochlear Implant was mentioned and we discussed about it.
A Cochlear Implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing. 

I used to have one, for my left ear but because I have a rare condition which meant my skin rejected the implant sadly. I do wonder what my life will be like if my skin didn't reject it.

Based on my experiences and medical history I didn't want another one, this time for my right ear. But might go for it if doctors could do something to prevent the same thing happening because spending times in hospital and have repeat surgeries to try to close the wound isn't fun!

But now, my feelings and views have changed after months of using my hearing aid and listening to music. I now want a Cochlear Implant! It's a huge decision for me because of the high risks due to my medical history. If I have it again, and the same thing happen again, it would mean I can't use my hearing aid ever again. No music ever! But then if I have it and my skin didn't reject it, it would mean a huge thing to me!

I do know someone, who have same rare condition as me, with a Cochlear Implant. He must be really lucky so there must be hope for me, who know?

Another discussion next year when everything calm down I'll make another appointment.

I am not getting my hopes up because I've had so many surgeries for different reasons, only for it not to work etc. Not nice spending time in hospitals for nothing really.

So for me the best thing to do is to wait and see! Waiting can be so boring! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment